Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Character Animation

Watch on YouTube for higher resolutions


I created this stop motion animation by first using reference video of a run and jump I did. This allowed me to get the frame numbers I needed and my step and jump timing. Next I set up a green screen studio in my office. I used a pair of green poster board and a lot of lights. To hold the action figure i used my helping hands solder station. Using my Canon DSLR, stand, and remote I proceeded to pose each individual frame. Since I was limited in height movement of my solder station I didn't worry about the position or height of the figure in frames where the figure was in the air and focused on the poses. I imported everything into GIMP and proceed to remove the background. I found out it is important to use a non-reflective green material as I found my figure was bathed in a green glow. I had to be careful not to pull pixels out of my figure. I went over everything with a little negative green color saturation and got everything looking normal. Next I created a background image and proceeded to position each frame within the background using the previous frames to line up the next frame. I then saved all  84 individual frames as jpg images and converted them into a HD avi file using a free software called JPGVideo.

Green Screen Studio

Alexand showing he can pose!

Animation Snake


1 comment: